4½ oz protein, 1 veggie, and 1 carb per serving
- ¼ cup sliced fresh mushrooms (any variety)
- 1 cup low/no-sodium, fat-free broth *
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup quick-cooking barley
- ½ cup bias-sliced small green beans
- ¼ large tomato, seeded and chopped
- 3 tsp chopped fresh basil or ½ tsp dried basil, crushed
- 2 tsp chopped fresh rosemary or ½ tsp dried rosemary, crushed
- ¼ tsp crushed red pepper
- 1 large tomato, sliced
- 9 oz grilled or baked chicken
- In medium saucepan, combine mushrooms, broth, water, and barley.
- Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add green beans; cover and simmer for 5 to 7 minutes more or until barley is tender and vegetables are crisp-tender. If necessary, drain.
- Stir the chopped tomato, basil, rosemary, and red pepper into barley mixture. Heat through.
- Split the barley mixture in half and serve with the tomato slices from half the tomato and 4½ oz chicken. The rest of the barley mixture, chicken, and tomato slices can be refrigerated for later.
* Product Recommendation: Some brands that fit within the guidelines are: Kitchen Basics Unsalted Chicken Stock and Imagine Organic Low Sodium Free Range Chicken Broth. For any brand you choose, make sure it only has 30 calories or less. These are only options, not the only ones you can use.