4 ½ oz. protein, 1 veggie, and 1 carb per serving
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breast* (5 1/2 - 6 oz. each)
- Herbs - 2 sprigs (sugg: cilantro, basil, parsley, dill, tarragon)
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed with skin on
- 1/2 cup green beans, chopped
- 1/3 cup fennel, shaved
- 1/2 cup carrot, shaved
- 1/3 cup zucchini, shaved
- 4 cherry tomatoes, halved
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Lemon wedges, to serve
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- Arrange the chicken breasts in a single layer in the bottom of a pot. Pour in enough cool water to cover the chicken by an inch or so, add herbs and garlic.
- Over MED-HIGH heat, bring the water to a boil. Then you will turn off the heat and immediately cover the pan. Allow the chicken to sit in the hot poaching liquor for 20 minutes, until cooked through.
- Bring a medium saucepan of water to a boil and blanch the green beans for 1½ to 2 minutes, then cool under cold running water. Transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- Preheat the broiler.
- Shave the fennel bulb with a mandolin or peeler into this slices and do the same with the carrot and zucchini. Add to the beans.
- Put the tomatoes on a non-stick baking sheet and under a preheated broiler for 2 to 3 minutes until softened. Add to the bowl.
- Remove the chicken breasts from the poaching liquor. Thinly slice them and add to the bowl of vegetables.
- Toss together and season to taste with pepper.
- Arrange the chicken, vegetables, and rice between plates (or storage containers) and serve with a drizzle of fat-free herb dressing and the lemon wedges.
* Note: Weight of protein is after cooking. 6 oz of raw chicken will be 4 1/2 oz once cooked.
∞ Hint: If your lemon is not very juicy, put it in the microwave for 10 seconds to help it release its juices.