4 ½ oz. protein, 1 veggie, and 1 carb per serving
- 4½ oz salmon fillet, skin removed
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1½ cup cherry tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 or 3 basil leaves
- Onion powder
- Freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup cooked couscous
- Preheat a non-stick skillet over medium heat.
- Add one finely chopped garlic clove to pan sprayed very lightly with cooking spray and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes, reserving 3 for couscous, and the bay leaf. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the tomatoes begin to become saucy, about 15 minutes.
- When the sauce is finished, cover and keep warm.
- Season salmon on both sides by rubbing into the flesh the onion powder and black pepper.
- Heat a non-stick pan over medium heat.
- When pan is heated, smash the 2nd garlic clove and rub it into the bottom of the pan. You are trying to rub a film of garlic onto the bottom to add flavor and help the salmon not stick. Discard the unused garlic.
- Add the salmon fillet and cook for 3 minutes.
- While the fish is cooking, chiffonade (roll the leaves tightly and cut across the rolled leaves with a sharp knife, producing fine ribbons) the basil leaves.
- Turn and cook until the fish flakes easily with the tines of a fork, 4 to 5 minutes more. Two minutes before the fish is finished cooking, top with the basil, reserving some for the couscous.
- Transfer to a plate and top with the tomato sauce. Make sure you remove the bay leaf.
- Stir together the cooked couscous, 3 halved cherry tomatoes and basil and serve on the side.
∞ Remember: This protein is allowed once or twice a week only!