4 ½ oz. protein, 1 veggie, and 1 carb per serving
- 5 ½ - 6 oz. boneless, skinless chicken breast*
- ½ lb raw spinach or
½ cup frozen spinach, thawed
- ¼ cup onions, diced
- ¼ cup mushrooms, sliced
- ½ garlic clove, minced
- juice of ½ lemon
- 1 melba toast round
- ½ cup low/no-sodium, fat-free broth (up to 30 calories) **
- ⅓ cup cooked brown rice
- Preheat oven to 350 °.
- Place the chicken between two sheets of heavy plastic (resealable freezer bags work well) on a solid, level surface. Firmly pound the chicken with the smooth side of a meat mallet to a thickness of about ¼". You may also do this with a rolling pin or heavy can.
- In a non-stick skillet on medium heat, saute the mushrooms and onions with the lemon juice and garlic. When they are soft and brown, start adding the spinach in batches. Let it wilt a little bit before adding in the next batch. If you are using the frozen spinach, you would add it with the rest of the vegetables until the onions and mushrooms are browned and the spinach is warmed through.
- Place the pounded chicken on a flat surface with the widest part of the chicken closest to you. Mound the veggie mixture in the middle of the chicken closest to you. Roll.
- Place in a baking dish with the seam side down.
- Top with the crumbled melba toast and any herbs or salt-free seasoning you desire.
- Pour the broth into the bottom of the pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the chicken juices run clear.
- Remove from the oven and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Serve on a plate over the cooked brown rice.
* Note: Weight of protein is after cooking. 6 oz of raw chicken will be 4½ oz once cooked.
** Brand Suggestion: Kitchen Basics Unsalted Chicken Stock and Imagine Organic Low Sodium Free Range Chicken Broth. These are only options, not the only ones you can use.
∞ Hint: If your lemon is not very juicy, put it in the microwave for 10 seconds to help it release its juices.